The Ackermans

The Ackermans

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Ain't This Neat?
I never really thought about where a cashew came from and how they got into those little cans. I only had three basic thoughts about them. First, I really liked to eat them. Secondly, they were really expensive. And thirdly, they are high calorie fat bombs. You can tell by the simplicity of my statement that I really had never done a lot of intense research on this topic. If I saw them in a dish at a wedding or grad party I would usually park myself near enough so that I could make the best of a nice situation. Other then that, well you can see how deep a thinker I am.
Last year at a missionary retreat that someone invited me to attend I found this little puppy on the table. Isn't it cute. These things grow on trees. Yes, one nut to a fruit! Get this! The nut that looks like an apple stem is encapsulated with a very tough pealing and below that pealing is a layer of very toxic pith (good word?) that covers the nut. So what this means is simply that Cashews are harvested by hand. Persons who clean the nut prior to roasting them must wear gloves to protect their hands and work hard to get the nut out. Then they go and sell it in a can for somewhere around $5.00. Can you imagine that? If I were doing that much work I would charge at least $50.00 for just my work. And we get a can of these for $5.00 or so. Doesn't that make you want to run to the store tonight and buy them out of this GREAT DEAL!
Isn't it amazing what you can learn on these blogs?
And So It Goes

No comments: